PDA

View Full Version : Aussie Gun Safe Law

Res0n8
11-05-2006, 01:53 PM
Hey,

Does anyone have a link to somewhere I can read safe requirements for a Gunsafe?

Thanks

R8:thumbsup:

Sardukarn
11-05-2006, 02:14 PM
For Qld -

http://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/weaponsLicensing/general/storage.htm

Firearms must be kept unloaded other than when being used to shoot, except where the firearm is being used under a security licence.

When not in a person's physical possession, a firearm/weapon must be stored unloaded in a locked container with the bolt removed or the action broken.

For category D, H or R weapons, the container must be a rigid structure made of solid steel and be bolted to the frame or floor of a permanent building. For any other weapons, the container must be a rigid structure made of solid steel or timber and if it weighs less than 150kg, be securely fixed to the frame or floor of a permanent building.

The container also must have a sturdy lock and be kept locked when the weapon is not in use.

Res0n8
11-05-2006, 02:24 PM
so doesnt matter if the lock is digital or key or both?

Shaweet :)

BJM
11-05-2006, 02:44 PM
Nope, mines a digital jobbie for rifles...
Can get them for $675 but they're prolly a tad too much for just paintball markers

JSC_Liason_neo
11-05-2006, 04:28 PM
I was looking at gettting one of those electronic safes from office works, I think It will fit a marker inside, If that okay

Logan
11-05-2006, 04:46 PM
go to your local cop shop and ask for a copy of the safe regulations.

oh - and i doubt the office works safe will comply... might.. but is it worht it?

go spend $150 out o fthe quokka and get a proper safe.

Res0n8
11-05-2006, 05:54 PM
lol My $50 jobbie from bunnings fits the specs and will fit the marker as long as its in peices, Ive already Dyna bolted it into the concrete floor so shouldbe sweet. It has a Digi lock and a Manual Key lock as well. They had last years model for $30 but i just wanted to be cheap not tight ;)

Mitch_J
12-05-2006, 08:44 AM
The NSW requirements can be found at:

www.police.nsw.gov.au/about_us/structure/corporate_services/firearms/more_information/faq/safekeeping_requirements

Paintball markers come under level 2 storage requirements, however they are actually classifyed as a level 3 - prohibited weapon. I couldnt find the information on if you have to take your bolt out or your air system off and forgot to ask the other day when i was on the phone to firearms. There is currently no inspections in NSW for new safes before you can use it but they are trying to make it compolsury (this is what the chicky from firearms told me)

was thinkin of makin one myself as i cant get one that will fit in my cupbords to well, but if anyone knows where i can pick one up with the following dimentions 550mm front to back, about 600mm high and about 600mm wide i would be thankfull. saves me the F*#king around making one.

Reaper
12-05-2006, 10:46 AM
Go to Bunnings $199 for a good safe i can fit 3 makers + all your little things in life..

chuckles
12-05-2006, 05:14 PM
I bought a $50 safe From Clints Warehouse. its a cheap digital one and it got passes by the local police firearms inspector!
Just make sure that its dyna bolted to the floor or wall

zyhin
12-05-2006, 06:14 PM
i was told to put your passport in your gun safe, just in case they steal your whole safe...then its a federal matter, as its goverment property.

krusty
12-05-2006, 06:52 PM
you do need a safe inspection in nsw and they'll give you either an event number or safety compliance certificate

zyhin
12-05-2006, 07:54 PM
they take your word for it in qld

maximillian71
12-05-2006, 08:11 PM
For Qld -

http://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/weaponsLicensing/general/storage.htm

Firearms must be kept unloaded other than when being used to shoot, except where the firearm is being used under a security licence.

When not in a person's physical possession, a firearm/weapon must be stored unloaded in a locked container with the bolt removed or the action broken.

For category D, H or R weapons, the container must be a rigid structure made of solid steel and be bolted to the frame or floor of a permanent building. For any other weapons, the container must be a rigid structure made of solid steel or timber and if it weighs less than 150kg, be securely fixed to the frame or floor of a permanent building.

The container also must have a sturdy lock and be kept locked when the weapon is not in use.

Mine is a single latch and padlock, just an old tool box fix to a wall stud with three roofing screws:thumbsup: , and I have had a random check done on me and the officer was OK about it:yes: , as he said its only a paintball marker.:armed:
Just make sure you keep the paintballs and Co2 or air tank separate from the marker:D

Big kahuna
12-05-2006, 09:42 PM
I just talked to the local cops and keep it above board and they'll help you out.

Then again that might just be the cops here:confused:

Mitch_J
12-05-2006, 10:12 PM
you do need a safe inspection in nsw and they'll give you either an event number or safety compliance certificate

yeah for now, i spoke to firearms on Monday (8/5/06) and the woman on the other side of the phone said that they are trying to bring in compolsury inspections before they will issue you with a PTA, so get your gat safe and PTA's done now to avoid hassel.

Just make sure you keep the paintballs and Co2 or air tank separate from the marker

where does it actually state this? i dont really feel like pullin the tank off every time. Does anyone know about dry - fireing the marker at your house? i read some stuff about it but last i knew we didnt have a definite answer. :confused: :confused:

maximillian71
12-05-2006, 10:50 PM
where does it actually state this? i dont really feel like pullin the tank off every time. Does anyone know about dry - fireing the marker at your house? i read some stuff about it but last i knew we didnt have a definite answer. :confused: :confused:[/QUOTE]

I was told to keep the tank separate because it was like keeping the bolt in a rifle, not good:no:

Albatross
12-05-2006, 10:54 PM
Well I just spoke to Licencing today (12/05/06) and I must have spoken to someone really uptight as when I mentioned to him the $30 toolbox job from supercheap or bunnings he almost reached down the phone to pull my lips off. The sticking point seems to be the definition of "solid structure made of steel or timber", as he said that anything that flexes under moderate pressure is not solid, so that pretty much rules out anything in the cheap range that has been suggested to me.
That's what sucks - some people make out that the inspectors will be easier on you if it's a paintball marker, yet officially it has to be up to the level required for a genuine firearm. Where's the consistency? I'm just complaining because I would be one of the guys to try and do it easy and wind up having to redo the whole thing with the added expense. Still have no problems with going through with it, I just don't want to know I've spent money unnecessarily.

krusty
13-05-2006, 09:16 AM
i just bit the bullet and bought a 1200mm high level 2 safe it cost 576 but if the cops want to be picky ive got no problems

JSC_Liason_neo
14-05-2006, 02:01 AM
So I want to buy a proper gun case, were can i find one,

zyhin
14-05-2006, 08:52 AM
any armoury/gun shop

as big gav said to me, anything will pass thier requirements but if someone breaks into your house and breaks into your so called safe, steals your marker. they will come out and say that its no good and you lose your licence

my safe has been checked three times and they have said that it passes the guidelines, but stongly recommoned that i seek out another safe

my safe is a tool chest and trolley that has been bolted together(i use the bottom drawer for my markers) it weighs over 200kgs without any tools in it, how ever it is on wheels

i argueed the point that there is nothing in the guidelines that sayes if it weighs more then 150kg, that it cant have wheels

krusty
14-05-2006, 09:49 AM
an australian company named cmi make safes i bought mine through a locksmith i have the r4

grizz
14-05-2006, 02:49 PM
My safe is being checked on wednesday, shouldn't have any problems though as it's a proper 6 rifle gun safe made by Astra Metal Products in WA. Apparently the WA police also use their pistol safes.

JSC_Liason_neo
14-05-2006, 09:39 PM
Mine is a single latch and padlock, just an old tool box fix to a wall stud with three roofing screws:thumbsup: , and I have had a random check done on me and the officer was OK about it:yes: , as he said its only a paintball marker.:armed:
Just make sure you keep the paintballs and Co2 or air tank separate from the marker:D

Hello
So If I was to store my marker seperate from gas bottles, thats means i need 2 safes, 1 for the marker, which is secure decent safe, and other just one of those cheap "bunnings" lock boxes, for the bottles and paint.

Im i correct in my thinking???

Logan
14-05-2006, 10:11 PM
no.

Paint doesnt need to be stored in a safe. its actually sold as a food product i believe... being mostly oil based.... its not actaully ammunition as i undewrstand it... (our police had no probs with it - we have 6 cases of acu ball just sititng next to the safe - plain view, no lock or anything... ) nor does teh bottle or anything - technically, the only think that needs to be in teh safe is the body of the marker with the rego number... you can keep the barrels, tank, hopper everything else in a bag or in your closet.

but get a proper safe.

maximillian71
14-05-2006, 10:51 PM
Hello
So If I was to store my marker seperate from gas bottles, thats means i need 2 safes, 1 for the marker, which is secure decent safe, and other just one of those cheap "bunnings" lock boxes, for the bottles and paint.

Im i correct in my thinking???

As Logan said just your marker has to go in the safe or secure box, they are not worried about paintballs or air tanks:thumbsup:

JSC_Liason_neo
14-05-2006, 11:28 PM
Thanks, I was thinking the wrong thing, it makes it simple, get a good case for the body of the marker, everythink else can be stored outside the safe,

Isnt the hopper covered as a magazine???

Res0n8
15-05-2006, 06:22 PM
Im interested t find out about the dry firing thing, is that allowed?

I assume it would be akin to cocking and firing a firearm with no ammo which is a standard part of cleaning the weapon...

krusty
16-05-2006, 04:42 PM
police inspected my safe today, no problems at all, i bought the tall one so i dont have to disassemble it every time, it all fits in complete and they didnt have a problem with that.

Mitch_J
16-05-2006, 06:41 PM
police inspected my safe today, no problems at all, i bought the tall one so i dont have to disassemble it every time, it all fits in complete and they didnt have a problem with that.

So you showed the police that you were puting the gat with the air system on it in the safe and they didnt mind? is that what you mean by complete?

Still no word on dry fireing??? :confused: :confused: ???

Logan
16-05-2006, 06:58 PM
honestly, at what point is anyone going to know that you are dry firing a paintball marker in the house.... with cars going past etc, good chance they wont even hear it - unless you go through an entire tank, regass off a scuba tank and do it several times.. noone will ever know - jsut dont let the neighbours SEE you and you wont have a prob (i beleive that enighbours can make a complaint about threatening behaviour when yyou are seen with a 'gun')

without video evidence of the marker being fired by you you could just say it was a mates bday and it was party poppers, or you were watching a war movie withthe volume up loud if they do call the police...

and you could always moake an attempt to limit teh sound... ie close doors, cover feedneck etc....

JSC_Liason_neo
16-05-2006, 07:26 PM
Hello
I wasn't sure from the information floating around, so I asked the cops.

If your safe is not bolted down , eg to your house floor or wall the safe must be 150kg, when its empty

If it is bolted down, One of those lock boxes from Bunnings should be alright, you might have to add afew more locks to the case and Dina-bolt it down.

I hope this helps

Sorry I didnt mention im in Adelaide and covered By South Australian Law

Res0n8
16-05-2006, 08:45 PM
dude,

as has been said before it always pays to know...

Besides I dont wanna be dry firing in my apartment and have the neighbours (whose TV I can hear normally) deciding to 'investigate' then have the silly 'Insert swearword here' call the cops or something...

JJJ
17-05-2006, 08:30 AM
keep it to the thread topic only

Electrofunkster
17-05-2006, 01:51 PM
Category C, D & H
Level 2 Security
Recommended Minimum Storage Requirements for
Licence
Category C, D and H Firearms.

All category C, D and H firearms registered to the licence
holder must be stored in a locked steel safe. When both
longarms and pistols are being stored then pistols can be
stored in a longarms safe If the number of firearms
stored exceeds 15, the safe should be located in
premises which are either fitted with a monitored alarm
system or staffed 24 hours a day.
The safe must be bolted to the structure and comply
with the following minimum standard:

The safe should be constructed of structural
grade 250 mild steel conforming with AS3679
and be not less than 6mm in thickness for pistols
and 3mm for longarms and be constructed with
continuous welding on all external edges

It should be fitted with a door not less than 6mm
thick, swung on either concealed pivots, or
externally mounted sealed end hinges welded to
the door and body of the safe, with a clearance
round the door of not more than 1mm

If hinged, have a locking bar or dogging bolts
welded to the inside face of the door near the
hinge edge, which engages in a rebate in the
container body when the door is closed

Be fitted with a six lever key, pick resistant,
deadbolt locking mechanism (two locks are
required for a longarms safe). The lock should be
securely affixed to the rear face of the door and a
metal strap overlapping the lock case with each
end welded to hardened steel anti drill plates
(3mm mild case hardened to 60 Rockwell C0,
which will in turn be welded to the door

Be constructed with a full length rebate welded to
the side of the container body. Locking edge to
receive the deadbolt of the locking mechanism

A pistol safe should be constructed to leave a
10mm skirt formed by the recessing of the back
plate from the outer edges of the sides, top and
bottom wall plates to prevent jemmying.

Thats the requirements for a paintball safe in NSW ... somehow I dont think a bunnings lock box wil surfice ???

krusty
17-05-2006, 04:44 PM
thats what i was told by the nsw firearms registry and nsw police, again cmi r4 sportsman gun safe from frost security in newcastle $576 (it was $620 retail but they dropped the price coz we bought three)

Res0n8
17-05-2006, 05:13 PM
keep it to the thread topic only

The thread topic has beed answered... This questioned was raised as part of the same topic... it is relevant and not far off topic. :fu:

JJJ
18-05-2006, 04:03 AM
The thread topic has beed answered... This questioned was raised as part of the same topic... it is relevant and not far off topic. :fu:

well the thread will be locked.

start a new one stupid & take a holiday