PDA

View Full Version : new gun for a newbie

blueyedbikerman
12-07-2008, 11:46 AM
hi guys just thought about this other day when drinking at my bar with a few mates we all should get paintball guns and do abit of playing so whats a new gun worth thats is not out of the ball park as we only want to do abit of mucking around at the fleid not in tornies or anything , i was looking at a SMART PARTS EPIPHANY - or a PROTO SLG or even a piranhae force evo so tell me the pros and cons or if they are just crap or ok ,cheers ,jim

The Camo Kid
12-07-2008, 12:31 PM
if you want to play paintball now and then for a bit of a knock about, i would suggest a tippmann 98, they are bloody simple to clean and operate, they can be left alone for months on end without any maintenance and still work fine, dont need to be cleaned every time they get taken out for a shoot, good reliable knock about gun, can get them for about 250 i believe,

check out www.paintballshop.com they have heaps of different marker packages for really good prices, even give them a call and talk to Darryn or Ian

blueyedbikerman
12-07-2008, 12:38 PM
i have been looking at the websites but its all confuseing to which to buy , its abit hard to just go and have a look as the nearnest one is 2 hours away in each direction i like the ones i mentioned but thats only the look so some one must know if they work allright or they are crap , cheers, jim

The Camo Kid
12-07-2008, 12:45 PM
the smart parts or the proto markers are also good, wheres ur location? if you are more than two hours away to look at markers, wheres ur nearest field?

SwAmP tHiNg
12-07-2008, 01:43 PM
go epiphany, and deal with Darryn at paintballshop.com.au best choice for starting off
:thumbsup:

blueyedbikerman
12-07-2008, 01:50 PM
in gympie dude nearest is brissy or bundy

acc1
12-07-2008, 03:15 PM
And remember if your going to buy one that you know the laws for them.. Only to be used on a registered field. No discharging it ANYWHERE else. And youl need a safe.

ben(dover)
12-07-2008, 05:11 PM
^^^ and a licence

SwAmP tHiNg
12-07-2008, 05:17 PM
^^^ and lotsa patience filling out paperwork

HouseholdDog
12-07-2008, 06:39 PM
Dunno about a 98. You can pretty well rent one from any field anyway, if yours breaks down. The ones you mention do fail a little more often, but the massive increase in firepower is worth it.

You pretty well will need to get a High Pressure Air tank with the markers you mentioned. This runs to roughly $350-$400.

I got to hold an epiphany the other weekend. Pretty high quality for the price. I like Swamp Things E*Tek though. Bit above the prices of the ones you mentioned, but a VERY nice marker for the price. No he is not selling it. :)

blueyedbikerman
12-07-2008, 07:02 PM
i have all the lic and have mailed the change to my lic so i only have hopefully a couple of weeks to go and should be all go

blueyedbikerman
12-07-2008, 07:04 PM
and will a 68cu alloy tank be allright with these guns as i dont really like light guns as i am used to shooting real firearms so these are still very light

The Camo Kid
12-07-2008, 07:34 PM
go a fiber wrap bottle some fields wont let you use a steel bottle

HouseholdDog
12-07-2008, 07:42 PM
and will a 68cu alloy tank be allright with these guns as i dont really like light guns as i am used to shooting real firearms so these are still very light
Trust me. You won't want it any heavier. :)

If you ever play bushball it is pretty tiring on the arms. To a lesser extent this also applies to speedball.

You pretty well want to keep the marker shouldered most of the time. After 5 minutes of this you will start to feel the weight. Even if you can still keep it up you will get some wobble.

Unlike a real gun you don't have to worry about recoil much. So a heavier marker really doesn't have that many advantages.

As for buying a heavier tank (non carbon fibre). It is going to make the marker very back heavy too. Which, I imagine would make it feel a lot different from what you are used to.

If you REALLY want a heavy marker you can always strap weights to them. Its easier to make it heavier than it is to make it lighter. I'm betting you won't though. ;)

SwAmP tHiNg
12-07-2008, 07:55 PM
yeah, go light as possible on tanks, you are going to have to use it for quite a few hours
maybe even look at what the fields have to offer on refills, if they have co2, go that way, if they have air, look at getting a 45ci or 68 ci tank, either in 4500psi, or 3000psi(i would suggest 4500psi, more flexible option).

BOOBZ
12-07-2008, 09:46 PM
get a ion cheap and good for someone who actully wants to learn how to let your fingers do the walking :P

wadesty
12-07-2008, 11:39 PM
mucken around! get a tipman....you want to play real paintball get the electric marker,you don't need to spend heap of cash the smartparts are cheap....

slcmorro
13-07-2008, 09:49 AM
It really depends on what you want to do mate. It's a tough decision. Try to get to a field or a training day somewhere, and introduce yourself to some of the guys there. Tell them you're looking at getting into the sport, and would appreciate their opinions and a try of their markers to see what suits you best.

Things you need to think of are -

Type of game you'll play. Bushball or Speedball. You don't want an open bolt marker for Bushball, and you probably won't want a mechanical for Speedball.
Price Range.
Ease of maintenance.
Ease of use.
Ongoing support. If you know someone who has Marker X and you like Marker X, then buy Marker X. That person will be able to help you with issues you may have with said marker in the future.

I'm sure there's more factors to think of, but they're the main ones that spring to mind.

blueyedbikerman
13-07-2008, 01:22 PM
what about invert minis , are they alot smaller then other markers or the same size , are they robust are user freindly

acc1
13-07-2008, 01:42 PM
what about invert minis , are they alot smaller then other markers or the same size , are they robust are user freindly

They are indeed very small. Dont know much more then that about em.

HouseholdDog
13-07-2008, 01:52 PM
get a ion cheap and good for someone who actully wants to learn how to let your fingers do the walking :P
Not until you upgrade the trigger though.

Add and extra $50-$70 for that. The stock one is VERY difficult to use.
Clamping feedneck $50-$60. To keep your hopper on properly
On off ASA + rail $70-$80 - Stock is WAY too long.

Theses are necessary upgrades for an ion, you will be quite hindered without them. I think you can get all that with an epiphany package at the same price plus more. Mag frame, alloy top, better grips etc etc.

I kind of like mixing and matching parts, building up something fairly unique. Some people may just want to buy a higher quality marker and leave it.

Again if I was to do it all again - ETEK.

Albatross
13-07-2008, 02:56 PM

Duck from Section 8 sold out to an invert mini a while back and doesn't seem like he'll ever give it up. And Ben may be in the process of joining him in Invertville.

I was going to suggest having a look at that mini for sale for $350, but looks like someone already snapped it up. They're still pretty good for the price you're paying brand new.

In the end, these threads probably don't help much since you wind up getting so many options from various people that you just make your own mind up about it, even it just comes down to how the gun looks or how much it costs. Good luck anyway.

blueyedbikerman
13-07-2008, 03:45 PM
well if a mini is way smaller then a normal gat i wont bother i will keep looking

HouseholdDog
13-07-2008, 05:27 PM
All in all Albatross is right.

See if you can go down to a field club day. See if you can have a hold, or even better, a shoot, of some different markers.

Mayhem1
15-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Since we are on the topic of paintball markers......me and my team are planning on entering sappa next year and are tryin to figure out what markers to get...we were kinda lookin at dye or proto markers, any suggestions?

Royale
15-07-2008, 12:41 PM
what's your budget per gun mayhem?

As for the size of a mini, i've held one and they aren't THAT small. Just a little cramped. You'd probably want a long tank reg for optimal balance though.

Mayhem1
15-07-2008, 02:17 PM
We haven't discussed a price of yet pretty much just want to get a few suggestions and check em out.personally im not worried how expensive it gets but I can't speak for the rest of my team

Kahanamoku
15-07-2008, 05:35 PM
I got to hold an epiphany the other weekend. Pretty high quality for the price. I like Swamp Things E*Tek though. Bit above the prices of the ones you mentioned, but a VERY nice marker for the price. No he is not selling it. :)

I only just bought the bluddy thing so I wont be sellin my epiphany any time soon either! :armed:

jobbee
15-07-2008, 05:57 PM
ETEK :clap::clap:

Mayhem1
15-07-2008, 06:10 PM
What are they cost wise?who makes em and how reliable r they?

Mark:-)
15-07-2008, 08:37 PM
don't buy an ion. Just... don't...

I suggest second hand markers.

I think the most cost effective marker that will give you everything you want would be the Invert Mini. You can get this package(click) (http://www.paintballshop.com.au/details/2199750.html) which is all good cept the loaders pretty shit but it'll do ya.

I seriously recommend 2nd hand gats though. plenty around.

blueyedbikerman
17-07-2008, 08:42 AM
what are these spyder electra 08 like they look a nice gun but has anyone used one at all , let me know guys, cheers , jim

zyhin
17-07-2008, 08:54 AM
You get what you pay for....and there $280.....Need I say more.

blueyedbikerman
17-07-2008, 09:05 AM
could you explain alittle more please are they old tech or something ?

lump_a_charcoal
17-07-2008, 09:28 AM
Having never used one I am not sure, however I am all for buying a second hand superceeded top level marker rather than a new, 3rd tier marker.

An Ion is a good gun, however your view of it will change in about 2 months when you want it to do more, and work better...

If you can afford it, get an 06 model top line gun like a Cyborg or an Ego - they are both great guns, and won't need upgrades like your ion will.

zyhin
17-07-2008, 09:52 AM
Every thing is a case of you get what you pay for. Paintball markers are no different. If you only have that much money to spend, then buy a second hand 05 or 06 marker. These markers, if well looked after will out shoot you and will give you less problems then a new cheap "Daewoo" marker. Then again if that is the only amount you can spend on a marker, you sure you will be able to afford to play.

uptheguts
17-07-2008, 11:41 AM
my 2 cents
If you are serious about getting into the sport spend the money on something reliable, im not a fan of second hand, someone elses problem. Eteks are a vey nice marker and pretty quick and not a to expensive. because if you are serious you'll end up spending the money for a good one pretty quickly
If its just for shits and giggles man get something cheap and easy.

piphysplat
17-07-2008, 11:45 AM
The problem with a second hand gun is there is no warranty. I own an epiphany and love it, but thats just me. Look around, shoot whatever you can get your hands on and then make a decision.

blueyedbikerman
17-07-2008, 11:44 PM
it makes me laugh that people say you need to spend alot of money to get a gun that you can compete in i have shot competion shot gun for 20 years and i have won titles and beaten guys with 26thousand dollars shotguns with my 300 buck gun so it not allways the gun you no, sometimes it the complete nutter behind the trigger , personally i love beating guys with expensive guys it pisses them off

blueyedbikerman
17-07-2008, 11:46 PM
but i have to clear it up that i will not be competeing at a comp level i am only a gun that will shoot reasonable straight for shit and giggles

acc1
18-07-2008, 02:20 AM
it makes me laugh that people say you need to spend alot of money to get a gun that you can compete in i have shot competion shot gun for 20 years and i have won titles and beaten guys with 26thousand dollars shotguns with my 300 buck gun so it not allways the gun you no, sometimes it the complete nutter behind the trigger , personally i love beating guys with expensive guys it pisses them off

Its the same as anything, but different, pay for what you get, then pay extra so everyone knows you have money to waste and you need the ego boost, or spend a bit less and get something that will do the job that isnt as colourfull.

Sure, you wont need to spend $1,000, but anything under $300 I think you'd regret.

I also fail to see how its going to be worth the trouble for just "shits and giggles".. If you only intend to spend $250< on a marker, be alot easier to just to keep using rentals. I can tell you its not all gonna be shits and giggles if you really go cheap and spend the time and effort on it all then each time you travel all the way to the field you spend more time fixing rather then playing and enjoying your self.

Also take note after tank/ hopper etc your probably going to be up for more money worth of playing gear, then your markers worth 5 times over.

BJM
18-07-2008, 10:15 AM
It will be for shits and giggless...

He'll get hte shits when his $250 gun stops working
And
We'll Giggle when he gets the shits...

Simple really

blueyedbikerman
18-07-2008, 12:50 PM
what about the minis

lump_a_charcoal
18-07-2008, 01:10 PM
Getting slightly better, but I would suggest getting an Etek as the lowest end of the scale (or an A5 if you want to play bushball), or a second hand Cyborg, Ego or DM6 or newer.

I know of a great 07 Ego for about $800 with deathstik barrel, that gun would last you years and years....

acc1
18-07-2008, 03:50 PM
what about the minis

That or an a5 like lump of sawdust said.. Then work out what bottle you need and hopper.

piphysplat
18-07-2008, 04:08 PM
You do know that it is against the law to fire a paintball gun outside of a paintball feild. I've had the police come see me after they found a heap of paint had been shot off in the national forest just out of town.

qik nik
18-07-2008, 04:50 PM
as most guys have said already buying a 2 hand high end maker is a much better way to go there are so many players that whent the ion or other cheaper option when they started playing and upgraded in 6 months or less i mean you only have to go down to you local field and it wont take u long to find someone who did just that and i bet u 99% will tell u they should have lissend to the guys who said to get a high end gat strait up and the thing is the lower end ur gun is the less chance ur going to have of selling it later

but at the end of the day the only way u will find a gun u like is to go have a shoot of some and see what u like i mean would u buy a car u hadn't test drove or a house u had never seen

lump_a_charcoal
18-07-2008, 05:03 PM
http://www.billspaintball.com/vb3//vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=837

blueyedbikerman
18-07-2008, 11:00 PM
[QUOTE=lump_a_charcoal;268645]Getting slightly better, but I would suggest getting an Etek as the lowest end of the scale (or an A5 if you want to play bushball), or a second hand Cyborg, Ego or DM6 or newer.

now at least someone being sensable ,as it good to now that what is the base model and so on

SwAmP tHiNg
18-07-2008, 11:15 PM
http://www.billspaintball.com/vb3/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=837
here dude, get this, good deal, and start playing some pball

lump_a_charcoal
18-07-2008, 11:20 PM
http://www.billspaintball.com/vb3/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=837
here dude, get this, good deal, and start playing some pball

Yeah similar to the one I posted earlier... Ha ha you working for Heath too?

SwAmP tHiNg
18-07-2008, 11:26 PM
no, but you are sharing the commission??!!

lump_a_charcoal
18-07-2008, 11:30 PM
If you count 0% as sharing then yes!

SwAmP tHiNg
18-07-2008, 11:40 PM
thats a good starting point to negotiate from, it can only go up!!
LOL

SwAmP tHiNg
18-07-2008, 11:44 PM
http://www.billspaintball.com/vb3/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=924
try this for size !!
on the better end of the range!!

slcmorro
19-07-2008, 04:14 PM
With the 07 Ego, it's a great buy, however you don't really want to use it in the bush as it's an open bolt marker. But if you're just playing clean, then it'll be fantastic for you :)

Royale
19-07-2008, 04:29 PM
http://www.billspaintball.com/vb3/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=924
try this for size !!
on the better end of the range!!

That's a bit pricey for an 07 tim....lol

About 700 would be the right price for them nowadays i would think!

H-Bomb
19-07-2008, 04:34 PM
With the 07 Ego, it's a great buy, however you don't really want to use it in the bush as it's an open bolt marker. But if you're just playing clean, then it'll be fantastic for you :)

never taken a dive into a muddy snake?? egos can take the bush too!!

SwAmP tHiNg
19-07-2008, 07:09 PM
it is a bit pricy for second hand, but worth it, lotsa mods on it, that would cost heaps more new, being a few boxes old, i dont think he could get a better second hand deal in the upper end bracket, unless you wanna sell him yours??
my etek runs well, had put a few mods to it, and ended up costing about 950 all up, so there is little difference, a new etek would bring him into the middle range, with options to take it higher later, with costs of course.
if i was starting off, and serious about it, an ego 7 would be the trick. otherwise, if he wants to take a cheap punt at a sport, go sp-1, nothing wrong for what its worth, still shoots little balls !!

slcmorro
19-07-2008, 09:50 PM
never taken a dive into a muddy snake?? egos can take the bush too!!

LOL

Can't say I have. Have not had the pleasure of playing in the rain as yet, not speedball anyways :)

I mentioned it wouldn't be too good for bushball because it's open bolt. But perhaps with the proper care, you would rip with an Ego safely without worrying too much? I dunno personally... guess I was just speaking from other peoples experience :lol:

blueyedbikerman
14-08-2008, 10:39 AM
well its between a mini or a smart pants epiphany what you do think

pballer911
14-08-2008, 11:09 AM
LOL

Can't say I have. Have not had the pleasure of playing in the rain as yet, not speedball anyways :)

I mentioned it wouldn't be too good for bushball because it's open bolt. But perhaps with the proper care, you would rip with an Ego safely without worrying too much? I dunno personally... guess I was just speaking from other peoples experience :lol:

I play both bush and tournie with my 07 Ego even in the rain:yes: nothing wrong with that.

Yes it's louder that most guns on the field but it shits all over the players who shoot A5's, BT's and Tippmanns - FIRE POWER:lol::lol::respekt:

pballer911
14-08-2008, 11:11 AM

I'd go the Mini between the two, but have you seen the prices on the Etek now???? Under $500 now - brand new, you can't go wrong with that.:clap:

Duck!
14-08-2008, 12:11 PM

MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI

In case that is not obvious enough ... I think you should get a mini :yes:

-TB-
14-08-2008, 12:45 PM
MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI MINI

In case that is not obvious enough ... I think you should get a mini :yes:
Agreed. Definately the mini m8:thumbsup:

Royale
14-08-2008, 12:55 PM
I too agree, a mini is your best bet.
http://www.scottsdalegunclub.com/newsletter/images/garwood2.jpg

Royale
14-08-2008, 12:57 PM

Seriously though, a Mini seems to be at odds with this statement.

blueyedbikerman
14-08-2008, 01:28 PM
thanks guys , just paid for a mini silver

GuyL
14-08-2008, 02:46 PM
Spyder Electra, but too late!!